St. Hilda’s Church, Egton

 

St. Hilda’s Church, Egton is one of five churches in the United Benefice of Middle Esk Moor. The other churches in the Benefice are at Glaisdale, Lealholm, Grosmont and Goathland. Combined services are held with the other churches at the monthly Benefice Holy Communion and other special services. The benefice vicar is the Rev. Christine Haddon-Reece who lives at the Egton vicarage, assisted by Readers David Haddon-Reece and Stuart Turner.



The village of Egton appears in the Domesday Book as ‘Egetune’. Although the present St. Hilda’s Church is comparatively new, there has been a Church of St. Hilda in Egton for over 800 years.


The original church stood around 1km to the west of Egton village in Glaisdale Lane. The church was demolished in 1878 but the location is still the graveyard and the site of the Mortuary Chapel, built in 1897. Evidence of the old church such as the bases of three Norman pillars can still be seen on the old site.


In the 1870s it was decided that a new church and school should be built closer to the centre of Egton village. The foundation stone for the church was laid in March 1878 and the new church was consecrated in December 1879. Some artefacts from the old church, including a date stone on the left of the main door (1663 - the date the old tower was rebuilt) were included in the new church.


The church contains some notable stained glass, many in memory of members of the Foster family, owners of Egton manor, the benefactors who made the building of the new church possible.


A booklet about the history of the church and Egton parish is available in the church. we welcome all who wish to visit our beautiful church or attend our services.